Sunday, December 25, 2011

[FanFiction] The Rules of a Speech2


Rule 2
I don’t know what was wrong with me. I was so unsure and wondering if I should join or not, but since having the talk with the mysterious Katsuro, I’m suddenly making up my mind. I want to join, I have to join.

Am I acting like this because someone else is taking the spot away from me? Am I only prompted up for this because I want to be the one to represent our school? I have a feeling I’m not joining because I love making speeches, but because I don’t want Katsuro to enter. If he enters and wins, the school will know that they made the right choice to send him in instead of me. How realistic life is…

“Wake up Katsumi! Wake up from your own fairytale.” I shook my head as a bus pulled in front of Katsuro and I. We didn’t talk anymore as he head to the end of the bus while I stayed in the front. I have a feeling that I never want to talk to him again. His voice, his looks and his presence, simply—annoy me.

I spent the next half an hour ride pitting myself while worrying about random things the school will say to me. I imagine Katsuro laughing and smirking when I couldn’t enter. He doesn’t seem like someone who would take advantage of other’s people’s failure though. At this thought, I quickly wake myself from the thought. “He told me those things because he wants me to know how awesome he is. He’s already taking advantage of me.” I monologue to myself.

“Are you always like that, talking to yourself?” A boy’s voice said. At first, I was afraid Katsuro had heard me talking about him and he’s here to get revenge, but I noticed that this boy wasn’t wearing our school’s uniform. I could just take a glimpse of what he was wearing from the side of my eye.

The bus is crowded now and he couldn’t help but press his body close to my chair. I can feel the soft fabric of silk pressed onto my arm.

“I’m facing a problem and I’m just frustrating over it. Don’t people do that? Like talk to themselves?” I improvised, trying to find something to prove him wrong. I turned my head to look at him. I was shocked to his face. He was attractive and dashing. “I…”

“This is no competition girl. You don’t need to be that competitive.” He laughed. I feel my face flush red from embarrassment. Then it clicked me. The impromptu speech!

Impromptu speeches are an extemporaneous speech or remark without preparations. For high school speech contests, they allow you five minutes of preparation. I guess I’m really competitive, always trying to find something to say. It’s all part of training, I comfort myself.

“Do you have any experience in making speeches? I tend to suck…Yet…” I told him while shaking my head. I really hate how things are going.

“In fact, I sure do. I make them almost every day.” The boy exclaimed. I looked at him weirdly. “What?” He chuckled.

“I don’t believe you.” I laughed it off, waving my hand in the air. “It’s my stop. See you.” I squeezed through the crowd and got off the bus. It’s still early for anyone to be at school as I walked slowly up the four flights of stairs to my new classroom. I didn’t meet anyone along the way, only the sounds of sparrows chirping accompany me up.

I was happy to get some fresh air when I walked inside my new classroom. The windows were all opened, just the way I like it and the fans were moving in high speed. I like the feeling of fresh air inside a cramped classroom. Only Ichiro was in here. I bluntly greet him and scanned the classroom. I chose my seat carefully, because if you chose a random seat thinking that you can find another tomorrow, the next thing the teacher tells you is that this will be your seat for the whole semester.

Finally, I picked a spot near the middle of the classroom. I like being in the center of attention, I liked having lots of people around me. In this spot, it’s also easier for me to pay attention, but is also good for sneaking. I smiled and gradually sat down.

“What’s our first class?” Ichiro asked while he turned his pen.

“Home Economics unfortuanetly.” I told him. He sighed and turned back to what he was doing. Slowly, my old classmates filed in. Each year, we change our classroom, but the classmates stay with us for three years.

Later that day, I kept on meeting Katsuro in between classes. It’s only his first day, yet he met so many new friends and I was right, lots of girls are flailing over him. It’s not that I have something against him, but I seriously hate that he’s tempting me with the fact that I might not be the one to enter the speech composition this year. I’m not even sure why I’ve been so infected with his words. I’m not even sure if they’re true!

In English, the teacher handed me a document about the speech composition this year. The official signup date will be in a month and anything can happen in this one month. It’s either I go, or Katsuro go.

I went to addend the track team meeting after school. There are a fair amount of new members going for the tryout. I am one of them. The director of the track team told us that we’ll be testing on our 100meter dash, 200meter dash and 800meter long run. Some students groaned, thinking that their speed might drain from running so many laps, but the director hushed them telling them that a true runner can run a lot without being tired.

Running, racing, competing with others, they are what makes me competitive. I take things seriously, especially if I know I am good at it. What shocked me was that Katsuro also tried out for the track team. We didn’t talk at all, nor look at each other. I laughed when he couldn’t beat me. I was so arrogant that I felt a bit guilty.

Thirty minutes later, the director dismissed us. I waited for Katsuro to come out of the changing room to hand him a bottle of sparkling water.

“Here.” I gave it to him, hiding the small blush that was forming on my cheeks. I was glad that I was still panting and that my face was still red so he wouldn’t see the pinkness.

“How rare.” He took the bottle and popped the lid open, taking huge gulps before looking at me with a small grin. “Thanks. This is a start.”

“How was your first day?” I asked as we walked outside of the school. As far as I know, we go the same way until the bus stop anyways.

“It’s good.”

“Hm…” I replied lightly, letting silence embrace us. The sun is setting and the street lights are just being lit. Checking my watch, I was surprised to see that it was already five thirty. It’s going to take me thirty minutes to get home, but the bus hasn’t even arrived yet. I stamped my foot, wondering how unlucky I am. Katsuro’s been really quiet. I almost forgot he was there.

“Katsumi. Did you get what I said the wrong way this morning?” He spoke in a delicate soft voice.

“Me? No way.” I shrugged it off.

“You’re a bad liar you know?” He leaned on the advertisement board. I can feel his eyes fixed on me. Watching my every movement with those big eyes, I turned around to face him as I locked eyes with him, putting both my hands on his shoulder.

“What do you expect me to say? That I hate the fact that you’re such an arrogant snob?” I pressed harder onto his shoulder. He didn’t wince; he made no change in his expression at all. This little pressure won’t hurt him.  

“We’re alike. Me and you.” He said slowly. He took hold on my arm and flipped it outwards, making me lose grip on his shoulder. He looked away with his mouth closed, forming a perfect thin line. “But don’t judge me unless you have looked through my eyes, experienced what I have, and cried as many tears as me. Until then, back off cause you have no idea.” Katsuro’s voice was deadly and firm.

“I admit it. I’m jealousy. I want to be like you.” I rolled my eyes. I know that wasn’t the best thing to say, but my brain’s not functioning well and I’ve never been good with words anymore.

“Here. Watch.” He handed me his cell phone. A video was playing. It was him, dressed in a suit with a tie. Formal dressing and bright smile, he was talking in front of a crowd. Hence this is him in a speech contest.

After watching it, I couldn’t help but clap along with the audience. I held his hand and beamed. “That was amazing!” I squealed. I could feel the slight tips of his mouth go upwards. Somehow a thought popped up in my mind, is that why he’s so good at making speeches? Because he has nothing to be embarrassed about? Nothing to be shy about? And all those pain he felt…He seriously wanted someone to bear it with him so he tells the audience. There’s nothing to pretend, he does this with all he’s got.

The first two words that came out of my mouth were, “Teach me.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to comment?